The World According to Humphrey - Betty G. Birney

It's one of my favorite times of the year!  Each school year our school district sponsors an initiative called "One District, One Book."  They select an appropriate book and gift a copy to each family with kids in elementary school. Everyone then participates in a giant family read-along.  The families follow a reading schedule to stay on track, and each day at school the kids get to answer questions about the reading for a chance for some fun prizes. It's a great program and the kids and I always have fun reading the books together each year.

Occasionally the books they select turn out to be total snoozers--I'm looking at you The Sixty-Eight Rooms--but this year seems like it might be the best book yet!  The book is called The World According to Humphrey, and two chapters in it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!  The kids are enjoying it and the snappy writing is a joy to read out loud. Humphrey is the pet hamster that lives in an elementary school class room, and Humphrey is the one telling the story.  I think we are in for a lot of silly hamster shenanigans as Humphrey teaches the kids and wins the heart of their rodent-hating teacher.