Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
Miss Peregrines turned out to be NOTHING like I thought it would be--and that's just fine with me because the story was great!

One of the coolest parts of the story are the photographs the author weaves into the storyline. I did a bit of research, and it turns out the author, Ransom Riggs (no way he was born with that name), collected some of the oddest antique pictures of children he could find and wrote the story around the pictures. Some characters he created just because he had a cool picture he wanted to include! He said the majority of the photographs are unedited--he included them as he found them--and they are pretty creepy. It adds a whole other dimension to the story when he describes the peculiar children and then shows a photograph of what he described. I loved it!

One thing I did not love was the abrupt finish. The ending was good and appropriate, and even the main plot elements of the story were resolved. But the last page left with the heros embarking on the next stage of their adventure, with many unanswered questions and the fate of some characters unknown. Ever since Harry Potter, I promised I would never start reading a new series until the entire series has been published--no since in waiting around for a cliff hanger to be resolved if you don't have to, right? Well, I wish this book had a warning, because I was not expecting it to end with a million miles of story left to be told! Turns out Miss Peregrine's 2 will be written sometime in the future, and until then I have to wait. And I hate waiting!

The book is juvenile at times, but it's a bit scary and there are a couple of grown up curse words. I won't be recommending to my kids until they are in high school.

In the end, I'm glad I found this great story--althought if I had known it was only book one of a yet unfinished series, I would have waited to read it. Despite that, I do recommend Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children! The old photographes alone make it a good read, and the fun story is just icing. I'll just have to patiently wait for the rest of the books to be published!